How to Manage PMS Mood Swings
How to Manage PMS Mood Swings
Drowning in a bucket of tears at the drop of a hat is not quite fun. But this an experience that most women go through month on month as part of their menstrual cycle. PMS or premenstrual syndrome is the term used to describe the symptoms that you experience before your period. It is a natural occurrence and triggered at the time between ovulation and the first day of your period.
As usual with other menstruation-related occurrences, PMS too comes with its set of problems. Let’s look at one of the most common of them: mood swings.
What Causes PMS?
As part of your menstrual cycle, your body goes through immense hormonal changes. There is a rapid dip in levels of oestrogen. This drop can, in turn, cause a drop in the levels of serotonin in your brain. Serotonin is the chemical responsible for maintaining emotional balance and your high spirits. This is why your mood begins to oscillate and you go from screaming to crying to smiling all in a matter of a single minute.
Common PMS Symptoms
• Tenderness in the breasts
• Feeling queasy
• Pain in the lower abdomen
• Pain in the lower back
• Feeling bloated
• Skin rashes
• Pimples and acne
• Mood swings - feeling sad and irritable for no apparent reason
Effective Ways to Manage PMS Mood Swings
• Indulge in self-pampering: Who doesn’t love self-pampering? Take some time off for yourself and spend some moments to relax. Step into a warm bath or treat yourself to a nice spa. These activities will not only ease your period cramps but also help you relax and take on the following days. It is considered the best treatment for mood swings.
• Eat food for the soul: While you may crave all the junk meals under the sun, they won’t do well for your PMS mood swings. Eat soothing meals like warm soups, sautéed veggies, and fresh fruits.
• Be prepared: Being prepared by stocking up on sanitary pads, tampons, and panty liners can also help you stay calm and confident during your periods. The idea is to avoid worrying and what better way to do that than forethought? You may consider Always hygiene products to help you through your PMS mood swings
• Meditate: Relax and meditate in an open space. You can also try deep breathing exercises that work well in calming your nerves. It is one of the most effective and natural ways to relieve PMS mood swings.
• Spend time outdoors: It is quite easy to further feel gloomy and rage when confined in enclosed spaces. The most natural remedy for mood swings is to take blissful walks outdoors. Breathe in some fresh air and it will instantly have a positive effect on your mood.
• Just be: Do not blame yourself or feel guilty for your PMS mood swings. Let yourself just be and know that this feeling will pass soon. Curl up while you thank your body for all that it does for you.
PMS affects most women, and fortunately, the effects fade within a day or two after getting your period. If the cramps and mood swings are persistently affecting your lifestyle, do get medical help.
Take some time off for yourself and spend some moments to relax
The most natural remedy for mood swings is to take blissful walks outdoors